Saturday, April 5, 2008

Fishing in 2.4

Never been that much of a fan of outdoor angling, but I enjoy fishing in WoW. (Yes, I know there probably is something wrong with me, having without too much pain skilled up fishing to 375 even before the recent nerfs to the fishing profession).

So after the latest patch (2.4) I am taking my precious rogue Tessy out for daily fishing trips, catching all kinds of new and interesting fish.

Daily Fishing Quests
The quest giver, Old Man Barlo, stands in the shallow waters at the shore of Lake Silmyr just north of Shattrah, surrounded by basilisks, spiders and nasty things in the water, so it is advisable to fly there unless you want to have to kill some of the encroaching wildlife.

The first quest I got was Bait Bandits, in which Old Man Barlow asked for a Blackfin Darter from the rivers of Terokkar. I flew around in the woods with my Fish Finding on (the Weather-Beaten Journal was probably the best catch ever in my fishing career) and stopped at every darter pool I could find, fishing them dry of Golden Darters but not a single Blackfin Darter caught the line =(

After half an hour, a lot of darter pools fished out and a stack of Golden Darters in my bag, I decided to try angling out of pools, and I got a Blackfin Darter on the third catch!

The next day, a new quest, The One That Got Away, this time sending me to Nagrand to catch the World’s Largest Mudfish. Sloppy reading of the quest text made me go fishing in the rivers first, both in and out of Mudfish Pools, but the only Mudfish I got there was the ordinary Figluster's variety.

A more careful study of the quest text revealed that it actually said “lakes of Nagrand” and after a few throws in the Sunspring Lake I caught myself the World’s Largest Mudfish!

Third day, new quest again, Shrimpin' Ain’t Easy. The lakes of Zangarmarsh hold not only an abundance of Barbed Gill Trout, but Bloated ones as well. These fish have gobbled themselves fat on Seaweed and stuff, and on Giant Freshwater Shrimp, so you just gut them like you would any other fish and extract the shrimp from their innards. Old Man Barlow wanted 10 of these shrimps, and it took me about 15 minutes to get them, throwing my line from the shores of Umbrafen Lake.

Fourth day, fourth quest, Felblood Fillet. This one sent me to my choice of Shadowmoon Valley or Hellfire Peninsula to catch a Monstrous Felblood Snapper. I was like, hmm, where are there waters in these areas? but then I remembered the nagas and their water pools in the north of SMV. So off I went, but nowhere did I find water deep enough to fish in. All the pools were too shallow!

Quick check of the map, but there was no lake or river I had forgotten to be seen there, just a lot of green lava ones… hmm let’s try fishing in the lava then! Said and done, I flew to the closest green bubbling lava stream and cast my line in. And it worked! First catch was an ordinary Felblood Snapper, second was the Monstrous variety!


Now I am just trying to remember – where are there water or lava or whatever pools of any kind deep enough to fish in in Hellfire Peninsula? There are the pools of Aggonar ofc, but they are shallow enough to ride through, don’t think its possible to fish there.

Reportedly there is another quest to be had, where you go chasing crocolisks in the canals of Stormwind, but I haven't encountered that one yet. There is a crocolisk-fishing quest, the Crocolisks in the City, where some nasty merchant has sold a flock of baby crocolisks to some kids and you have to fish one out of the waterways. I took the portal from Shattrah to Stormwind and started fishing in the canals. After about 15 tries I got a Baby Crocolisk and hs'ed back to Shatt to turn it in to Old Man Barlo.

The quest reward for each daily Fishing quest is a Bag of Fishing Treasures, which contains 6-7 gold, on occasion some Jaggal Pearls, some grey fish/water-related items like Giant Shark Tooth, or Salvaged Scrap Metal, and some things that can be useful while fishing. So far I have gotten a lot of Sharpened Fish Hooks and some Elixir of Water Walking.

A note though, don’t throw out the grey stuff you get in the bag, go to a vendor and sell it. I once got an Ancient Coin and the vendor payed me 25 gold for that!

Other reported loot from the Bag of Fishing Treasures includes a recipe to make Captain Rumsey’s Lager, a Weather-Beaten Fishing Hat, and of course…*drum roll*….The 2 Ring.

A long long time ago, when I was just a little lowbie, I was fishing in Stormwind City and I caught myself The 1 ring. The ring has long been gone from my possession, missed by noone, least of all me.

New Fish
The Isle of Quel’Danas offer opportunities to fish from the boat in the harbour or the piers, with the bonus option of trying to use your Fishing Rod as a weapon if some hordies get offended by my peacefulness.

A fishing bout of 10 minutes yielded

1 Bloated Giant Sunfish which when cut open was found to contain 3 Darkclaw Lobsters, which can be used to make some Lobster Stew, with the help of a recipe from a vendor in Feralas (Feathermoon Stronghold if you are Alliance, Camp Mojache if you are Horde),

Some Jaggal Clams with the usual Jaggal Clam Meat inside,

A few tufts of Seaweed,

4 Luminous Bluetails, which seem to be some kind of fishy mana-pot,

and a lot of Giant Sunfish.

0 kommentarer: