Friday, April 11, 2008

Looking for Guild!

I recently read BigBearButt’s blog post about him and his wife leaving the guild they were in and let me just say: I would really like to find a guild like the one they are forming now.

It made me refine my earlier sentiments about why I want to join a guild again and elaborate on them a little. The operative words in my earlier post are not “I miss raiding”, its “I miss raiding with friends and people I like”.

I remember when my old guild went for our first Kara tries in a joint venture with another guild. It was hilarious. It was a lot of tactics talk before everything, a lot of waiting around, there were deaths and wipes and general confusion, but what I remember most was how fun it was – all the talking on ts and in /raid (a lot of it actually related to what we were trying to do but also a lot that was not) and the general goofing around.

I remember some other runs in Kara with my guild, when we did the same thing, more intent on having a good time and playing more for fun than for shinies. We died and wiped a few times but generally laughed a lot.

I remember a Steamvaults run I did with some guildies. We were having a blast. The healer went and pulled extra mobs when he felt that we were not getting enough of a challenge, and the dps went on a mad kill spree, unleashing everything they could and I was feverishly trying to tank in the middle of the mayhem.

Another one, a run through the Mana-Tombs. There were three 70’s, my priest, a shadow priest and a warrior tank, totally overgeared for the normal dungeon but we were having two 65-ish rogues with us (hence we could not go Heroic) and we were just steamrolling through it, talking and chatting and pulling way too many mobs even for our overgeared imbaness, but it was the funniest Mana-Tombs run I’ve ever been in.

A run through Magister’s Terrace, mage sheep-pulling, melee shaman and shadow priest nuking, our shammy healer yelling at us for spreading out too much for his Chain Heals to be effective, me running around all over the place to try to pick up all mobs and get them to beat on me. Wipes happened, but the chatting, joking and all around fun and happiness is what I remember from that run.

There are plenty more like these, the kinds of runs I think back on with a warm fuzzy glow in my heart.

Sure, I got myself some shinies in these runs, and in other runs too, but that is not why I so fondly think of these runs and wish for more like them. I wish for more runs like this because I vividly remember how happy and thrilled and excited I was and how we were playing this game for fun, not for the sole purpose of getting some new pixels to flaunt or for the dreaded progressing.

And then there are…the Other Runs… the ones where you spend two-three hours in total silence because you are too annoyed with some people to even talk, the runs where you wonder why you even play this game, where you have to suffer people yelling nastily or swearing or just being small-minded disgusting asshats. The runs you leave with a kind of sick and disgusted feeling to your stomach, no matter how many brand new shinies you have in your outfit or no matter how many bosses you have downed. The runs you leave realising that it was three hours of your life that you will never get back again, all in the name of “progress” or "gearing up", and definitely not in the name of “fun”.

I don’t care if I never see Magtheridon or Mount Hyjal or whatever, or if I have to go through this game dressed in quest items only, I want to have fun with friends and people I like when I play.

So let me paraphrase BBB’s post and make my own LFGuild wish-list ad:

“Looking For Guild; Rogue on Vashj (EU) with a large unruly accompanying flock of alts is looking for a guild that is not raiding hardcore, and doesn’t ever really want to, but which, when raiding, do it prepared and relaxed and respectful of other people’s time and efforts. Must consist of emotionally mature, friendly and open-minded people, possessed of compassion and patience. Interests include Karazhan and Zul’Aman runs once every week or so, occasional heroics and regular 5 man instances, doing dailies and chatting and questing. Must be willing to endure bouts of incessant joking and silliness. Must love good music, chocolate and Mojitos. Be prepared to have anything and everything that you do be recorded or blogged about without warning.”

Don’t think that I will get many offers since not many people read this obscure blog-diary of mine but at least I know what to look for now, on this server and on others :-)

0 kommentarer: