Wednesday, February 6, 2008

/gquit

So I left my guild yesterday.

Again, I might say. I gquit some months ago after having had doubts about my place in the guild and what I wanted from the guild, but soon realised I had made a mistake and came back. This time its no mistake.

We were a small guild with a pretty loose management. We had struggled with recruitings for raid and frequent dropouts by many of the new recruits when they realised that a guild just starting on Karazhan was no fast way to pretty shinies. We had worked out some agreements on how to do things to be fair and treat everyone equally and things seemed to be working.

Lately one of my fellow officers have been rushing ahead, deciding things, changing things without caring about our agreements. I don’t mind that for urgent matters, things that needs to be dealt with swiftly and when there’s no time to ask the advice of others – hell no, I welcome the ability to make fast decisions under difficult circumstances and have never questioned any of them. Committee solutions are not for every situation.

However, things like changes to the loot system and promotions are not urgent and does not need to be done on the spur of the moment. When I have asked him to please stick with our agreed upon ways of doing things, or if he thinks they need a change lets discuss it – we have wrangled those ways many times for many reasons and everyone has made concessions and compromises to get a fair and effective working system but hey, why not go over them again? – I get called rude things, I get told I am being offended to easily, I get told I critisize too much, I get told I take things too seriously and that I need to loosen up, I am ruining the fun of the game because he was too tired or too bored or too whatever to wait and do it our way because in his opinion he was following the spirit of it and not the letter.

Well I think that following the spirit of our guild is to try to do things the way we have agreed upon, it is not difficult or complicated or anything like that, it's a matter of courtesy to the rest of the officers who put in time and effort to get the guild running smoothly and fairly, both for us and for our members.

Who is right? Who is wrong? I don’t know and now I don’t care anymore. He’s right about one thing, it's a game and it is supposed to be fun. When it starts to feel more like work than play its time to seriously consider if you want to go on.

I am not really mad at him or anyone else, he has his opinion and I have mine. Its not always bad, but lately the bad parts have been dwarfing the fun too much for me to really enjoy playing, and it seems pointless to even try to make things work.

So, I considered and I decided and I told my guildies that I wasn’t happy in the guild, hadn’t been happy for some time, I wasn’t mad at any of them or anything but it felt more like work than play and that I felt thin like Bilbo, butter spread over to much bread, and I gquit.

I was crying as I did it, but then again, I cry for a lot of things so it is not really that big a deal.

So how do I feel now?

Relieved, actually. It feels like I can breathe again, like a huge burden is off my shoulders.

And I realise it was not just the constant arguing that wore me down, there were other little officer things as well that was tearing away at me, like the attempts to keep a semblance of raids going while our usual raid leaders were away.

Don’t get me wrong, it was a lovely guild with a lot of sweet and fun and friendly people I left, and I will miss all of them a lot. I just don’t want to stay there, and if I ever join another guild I will stay very far away from the guild managing business. I get enough of project leading shit at work, never again will I try to do that in my free time as well!

So what am I going to do now?

I don’t plan on quit playing, I am playing a lot with my husband and I like the game.

I was pretty fed up with the raiding and its been a few weeks since I last saw the inside of Karazhan so I have no intention of looking for a new guild now.

I hope to stay in touch with a few friends from my old guild, but I think I will enjoy playing solo or pugging for the time being, and besides, you never know what awaits you out there in the great wild unguilded opens…=)

0 kommentarer: