Thursday, November 15, 2007

Nice and not so nice people

We have a sweet warrior in our guild who is the nicest player ever – he is cool, friendly, helpful and generelly so fun to be around that you sometimes wonder what dark schemes of world domination he is plotting just because your own jaded cynical mind can’t really believe that some people are just nice….

Anyways, this sweet guy tells me that one of his RL friends who joined our guild some weeks ago is going to transfer to another server to play with some other RL friends there, and he (the transferring friend) wanted him to come along.

Didn’t think to check it at the time, but later that evening (after our first kill ever of the skinny flaming dragon Nightbane! wohoo! /cheer! /party time!) I checked the guild roster, and - lo and behold! – the transferee-to-be was not in it. Added him to my friends list and – surprise, surprise! – player not found.


Checked the armory and no match was found for the [insert transferees name, class, race and level here].

So what gives? Banned account? (Don’t know if a ban actually makes your chars disappear from the guild roster and server). His parents got tired of him playing and made him erase his chars? (Yet another reason not to accept underage people in the guild). Someone hacked his acc and transferred his char from the PvP server we’re at to a PvE server so he can never come back, payed for the transfer with RL money and changed his name while he was at it, but left all his alts in place and gear intact? (Don’t laugh, there is a guy in our guild who actually claims this happened to him).

The now mysteriously missing player joined our guild some weeks ago at lvl 65 or so, he quickly levelled up his char to 70 and was pretty fun to play with. He got his Kara attunement done and wanted to go raiding with us. He has been telling me he has several other level 70’s on another server and has cleared Kara multiple times with them (oooo I am impressed! Why tell me? Put your money where your mouth is if you wanna have a shot at impressing me…)

This is the guy that was a little upset when he didn’t get invited to one of the raids in his first week as lvl 70 (I signed up in the calendar! Invite me!) and when he did get invited he won a roll for the T4 gloves over his RL friend, the sweet warrior. This is the guy that the day after (or even hours after) just folds his teepee and leaves. Without a word. Without saying goodbye. Just poof – gone.

We had a similar case some weeks ago, a player that had been with us for a long time but all that time secretly applying to other guilds (sometimes applying several times, changing his age from 15 to 19, not recognising the names of his alleged former gm’s, generally making himself look a fool). Well, secretly maybe isn’t the word for it since the guild application web sites generally are public, but secretly in the sense that he didn’t share with us that he considered us just a stepping stone for gearing up until a Better Guild would let him tag along.

The day after he got his T4 helm from our very first Prince kill he did like a rogue and vanished. Joined another guild because – guess what? – he wanted to play with his RL friends (you know, the ones that were a true PITA to play with before he was all epicced out). Well, nvm, good riddance.

/rant

WTF IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? How can you discover at level 70 that oh, I want to play with my RL friends (hated their guts until now and wouldn’t ever want to be seen dead in their company before but now they are pretty ok, and btw the fact that I just got some nice epics is entirely coincidental and have no bearing on my decision at all – what do you mean those guilds wouldn’t accept me unless I had some raiding experience and good gear?)

Maybe ”RL friends” is a code phrase for ”people who won’t let me join their uber imba raids no matter how much I whine unless I am geared up and act like a total asshat first”?

I don’t mind players who want to progress more in raiding than what we can offer – we are not going to Gruul or any other raid instance yet – we do Kara, and only Kara, and maybe not even that somedays when we don’t have enough people online because they have other RL things to take care of. If you want more that is ok, you are not automatically an asshat just because you are not content with the way our raiding progresses or because you want to explore more.

You are an asshat when you won’t tell anyone about your concerns or your wishes and never care about the work other people put in to organize runs, you are an asshat when you see the other people you play with as just means to an end, as some in-game feature whose sole duty it is to help you get attuned, get geared up, get group and raid experienced so you can move up to the next tier of soulless in-game features who should help you get that next set of pretty purple outfits (and let’s not forget its also their duty to use their lvl 70’s to boost your alts thru all lower lvl instances for even more leet loot)

We juggle around to get a fun solid raid party going and you just want us to carry you through it? Well, think again…

Yes you were there to help make a successful raid that day, but just because you were there someone else weren’t. I haven’t raided with my darling druid tank Joaquime for a long time because we have many tanks in the guild atm. I want that staff from Illhoof for Joaquime almost as much as I want that staff from Curator for my warlock, but I go to the Illhoof fights with Paynne for now because we need her warlock powahs for that fight. My shadow priest Jools is just shedding her baby teeth in Kara and I won’t bring her to any of the later bosses until she’s geared up a little more. My precious rogue Tessy hasn’t even been to Kara yet beacuse we have had an abundance of melee so far.

But I don’t care about that (very much). I have fun raiding no matter which girl I play, we are getting a solid core of good fun players who value our way of doing things, even if it means that we wipe sometimes and don’t raid at all other times.

Just wish we wouldn’t have to suffer these other morons so frequently. Ah well, if wishes were gold all my girls would have epic flyers by now.

/rantoff

Nightbane raid evaluation
- Came to the raid with my warlock Paynne and a 28 slot soulshard bag that was - empty! Not a little empty, it was a lot empty, nada, totally devoid of anything resembling the pink crystals..*embarrassed just thinking about it* Major horde ganking outside as usual, had to sneak down into the cellars just to get me some shards.
+ Took us a few tries to master the fight, and I switched over to my priest Jools since her mana regen and vampiric embrace healing would help keep us all up – and we killed the ugly malnourished one!

Funniest thing in the raid: our gm and raid leader was going to summon Nightbane, however he tried to accomplish this by using his hearthstone instead of the urn! Wasting one of my shards as I had to run outside to summon him back! Tactics suggestions ensued, all on the lines of ”maybe the OT should try hs-ing, perhaps he’ll drag the skellys with him?”

0 kommentarer: